Monday, March 17, 2008
I got introduced to methi chapathis when i was in bombay. Had it once in my relative's house. That time i was not bothered about the ingredients and stuff. Just thought they made a very different chapathi with some rare thing. Few years later my mom started making it. She used to wash the leaves and add it to the dough and add the required powders. But the one which my mother in law makes is even more good.. I simply loved it.. This recipe, I learnt it from her..
Methi Leaves – 1 Bunch
Wheat flour – 4 Cups
Channa flour/chick pea flour/besan(kadalai maavu) – 1 Cup
Red Chilli pd- 1 tsp
Turmeric – ½ tsp
Oil – 4 tsp
Salt to taste
Method:• Heat oil in a tawa, add the washed methi leaves and add salt, turmeric and chilli powder immediately (to avoid sour taste).
• Stir for 4-5 min, remove and keep aside.
• In a bowl, mix wheat flour,channa flour,salt and the above methi mixture.
• Add warm/lukewarm water gradually and make dough out of it.
• Knead the dough thoroughly for about 3-5 minutes (it will be very soft). Cover and set aside for 30 min.
• Divide the dough into lime sized balls, on a floured surface, roll out the dough into a chappathi – about 6-8 inches of diameter(any desired size of your choice)
• Heat a tawa on medium-high heat. Fry the chappathi using about 1/2 tsp oil (just apply the oil to the two sides of the chappathi) until it is golden brown on both sides.
• Serve it hot with onion raita/curd/pickle.