Thursday, March 20, 2008
Lunch Box Item 1 - Coriander-Mint Pulao
Boiled Rice (1 Cup of raw rice to boil, Rice:water -1:3 for ordinary rice, 1:2 for basmati rice and if basmati rice soaked for half an hour then 1:1 ½ )
Onion – 7 (For cooking and for raita, use depending on the number of people at your place, I use 3 for cooking, 4 for raita )
Fennel Seeds/saunf/chombu – ¼ tsp
Chick pea/kadalai parupu – ¼ tsp
Coriander/Cilantro leaves - 1 Bunch
Pudhina/Mint leaves - 1 Bunch
Green Chillies - 4
Cashewnuts - 6/7 (soak in water for 15 min and then grind)
Fresh Ginger/Garlic - 4/5 pieces
Cloves - 3
Cardamom - 2
Bay Leaf - 1
Masala jeera/Roasted jeera - 1/2 tsp
Rock Salt to taste
• Grind the items finely under To grind section and keep aside.
• Heat oil in tawa, add fennel seeds and chick pea and let them splutter .
• Add the onions and sauté until light brown and transparent.
• Add the paste along with little water and stir for 5 min till it thickens.
• Now mix the paste with boiled rice thoroughly without breaking it. Add 1 tsp of ghee to the rice and mix it ( will )
• Serve with Curd/Onion raita.
Note: This recipe tastes great for lunch. I do it once in a week as it is simple and tasty too.